The composition, roles and functions of the Administration Police Service in Kenya are stipulated in the National Police Service Act. The Administration Police (AP) is one of the branches of the National Police Service.
The other branches of the National Police Service are the Kenya Police Service and the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).
Composition of Administration Police Service
The Administration Police Service should consist of the ranks set out in the First Schedule of the National Police Service Act. The administrative police ranks in Kenya are as follows:
- Deputy Inspector-General.
- Senior Assistant Inspector-General.
- Assistant Inspector-General.
- Senior Superintendent.
- Assistant Superintendent.
- Chief Inspector.
- Senior Sergeant.
The Cabinet Secretary responsible for matters relating to the National Police Service may, on the advice of the National Police Service Commission, from time to time, by Order published in the Gazette, amend the Schedule.
Functions of Administration Police Service
The functions of the Administration Police Service in Kenya should be the—
- provision of assistance to the public when in need;
- maintenance of law and order;
- preservation of peace;
- protection of life and property;
- provision of border patrol and border security;
- provision of specialized stock theft prevention services;
- protection of Government property, vital installations and strategic points as may be directed by the Inspector-General;
- rendering of support to Government agencies in the enforcement of administrative functions and the exercise of lawful duties;
- co-ordinating with complementing Government agencies in conflict management and peacebuilding;
- the apprehension of offenders;
- performance of any other duties that may be prescribed by the Inspector-General under the National Police Service Act or any other written law from time to time.
Liked this post? Subscribe for more. Sign Up Here
Reproducing this content without explicit permission from the author is strictly prohibited. See our License Terms.